Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sins of the Father

I went to the supermarket last night because it was 9:30 and I still hadn't eaten cause there was no food in the house. I spent about 20 minutes there getting some ingredients for pizza. Tomato paste, bases, cherry tomatoes, chicken, ham, olives. Only 1 checkout was open so I had to stand around for another 10 minutes waiting to be served.
As I'm waiting I can hear from one of the aisles
".... too many people.... fuck!" followed by a much younger sounding, "...ah yeah...".
I turn towards the horrible, nasal voices and see 45 year old Bogan Senior followed by his red-haired son Bogan Junior. They continue to chat to each other while we're all waiting in the queue.
Now for some reason the checkout conveyor belt thing wasn't working, so I slide all my groceries up towards the checkout guy and the pack of cherry tomatoes opens and 5 or so spill out. This doesn't phase me as I know the whole pack won't get eaten anyway, but for some reason Bogan Snr decides that this is a good time to talk to me.

"Ya dropped some!" He yelled at me, through a chess board smile.
"Uh, yeah, thanks. I'm not gonna eat them anyway..."
"Ah, no worries, mate! Just run some water on 'em. Good as new!"
"Yep... I don't want them."

I get to pay for my stuff and leave, but as I leave I couldn't help but think that Bogan Jnr now has no choice in his future. Thanks to his dad he's gonna grow up to be just another bogan clone. And nothing short of amnesia is gonna change how this kid turns out in life. Is it the bogan's aim in life to make it so their kids get looked down upon in everything they do? Because if it is, it's really not fair on the kids. It really is a shame you can choose your friends but not your relatives.

1 comment:

Arlen Ivory said...

that was so gritty, like watching There Will Be Blood but pub-style.