Saturday, March 8, 2008

Skins - Season 1


I heard about this show many months ago, but it wasn't until last week that I finally got around to watching it, and boy am I really glad I did. For starters I just kinda love the British party culture, so when they throw that together with a crazy bunch of teenagers you're in store for some very fun viewing.
Each episode follows a different character through something fairly major happening in their life this week. One girl has an eating disorder, there's another kid in love with his best friend's girlfriend, and one in love with his teacher. I know it sounds a little cliched; and it is. But it's where it differs from the cliched O.C style drama that really sucks me in. They show the sex, and violence and swearing and drugs and drinking. It's a little silly at times but it's easy for me to forgive because it makes me smile.
The episodes range from light-hearted comedy episodes, to hardcore drug-fucked episodes. So sometimes you'll sit there enjoying the whacky adventures of middle-class teens, and the next you'll be scared for a character because they're a "fooking twat" for not doing the sensible thing.
I'm not sure how long they'll be able to go with the teenagers who just like to party and do drugs and all their problems in between before it gets old, but for a first season I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm really looking forward to season 2.

4/5

No comments: